My guest today is Jay Grinney, CEO of HealthSouth, the nation's largest owner and operator of inpatient rehabilitation hospitals. In 2004, Jay was brought in to turn HealthSouth around following a massive accounting scandal. The company was in complete disarray - it had lost its SEC filing status, its stock price had fallen more than 90% and it was headed toward bankruptcy. Today, the company is thriving and consistently producing positive earnings and growth reports. The turnaround job Jay has done with his team has been nothing short of amazing.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- The power of focus and why you should probably have fewer priorities
- How hard work can compensate for all kinds of weaknesses
- Why your work and vocation should not be your sole identity
- Who to look for when building an outstanding team
Learn more about Healthsouth:
- al.com: HealthSouth buys Encompass Home Health and Hospice
- BBJ: Growing patient base fuels strong 4Q for HealthSouth
Links to books we discussed:
Jay's not a big business book reader, which is a very rare exception for one of my guests. But he did recommend a book called Execution by Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan. I had never heard of it and am reading it now.